Welcome to Stamford CT. Birth Certificate Form
PLEASE fill out the On-line Form, PRINT the completed form and submit IN PERSON or BY MAIL. Please allow 7 to 10 business days for regular mail.
If you require assistance, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (203) 977-4054
We accept cash, check or credit/debit (service fee applies) in person. You can send check or money order for all mail requests. Payable to: The City of Stamford.
If you would like expedited service (USPS Express/Priority, Fed-Ex, UPS, DHL), please overnight the request to us and provide us with a pre-paid overnight envelope and we will overnight it back to you the same day we receive your request.
Telephone verification of any information concerning the birth or birth record is prohibited.
Faxing or E-mailing of any birth record is prohibited by law.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH STATE OF CONNECTICUT VITAL RECORDS REGULATIONS:
In order to obtain your Birth Certificate you must provide a copy of your government issued photo ID or passport.
IF a government issued photo ID is not available, at least TWO of the following documents:
- Social security card
- Written verification of identity from employer, W-2 form or pay stub
- Automobile registration
- Copy of utility bill or bank statement showing name and address
- Voter’s registration card
- Release documentation from a correctional institution containing photograph of the former inmate
- School or college photo ID
Registrar has the authority to request any additional document from this list if authenticity of provided documents is questionable.
Sec. 7-51 CGS –Birth records are confidential according to State Statute. Access to birth records less than 100 years old is restricted in Connecticut. The only persons who may have access to or be permitted to examine the original or any copy of a birth certificate or birth record are:
(1) The person whose birth is recorded, if over 16 years of age;
(2) Such person’s children, grandchildren, spouse, civil union partner, parent, guardian or grandparent. (NOTE: a father has access only if he is recorded on the child’s birth certificate);
a. If you are a biological grandparent, you may purchase your grandchild’s birth certificate, with proof of relation (such as your child’s birth certificate). If your child was not born in Stamford you must provide an original birth certificate (containing the raised seal) for your child, in order to purchase your grandchild’s certificate.
b. If you are obtaining a certificate for your spouse, you must provide your marriage license. If you were married in Stamford, we will be able to verify this in our records.
(3) Attorneys-at-law and title examiners representing such person or such person’s parent, guardian, child or surviving spouse;
(4) Members of genealogical societies incorporated or authorized by the secretary of the state to do business or conduct affairs in this state;
(5) Agents of a state or federal agency as approved by the department; and
(6) Researchers approved by the department pursuant to section 19a-25.
(7) Military Recruiters with signed release from the registrant; document must be red stamped
Any approved state agency or federal agency that requests a copy of a birth certificate shall supply to the registrar, a release signed by the registrant or by the agent of the minor child or legal guardian, accompanied with the requestor’s ID, authorizing a copy of the birth certificate be sent to the requesting agency. All other 3rd party requests are not to be honored.